Nothing beats a hot shower during Canberra’s legendary seasons.
Upgrade to an energy-efficient electric water heater and get $500* off the purchase price. PLUS $250* credit on your ActewAGL electricity bill.
With the energy-efficient electric water heater upgrade, a new hot water heat pump will be installed in your home. Hot water heat pumps harvest natural thermal energy from the air, night and day, to efficiently create hot water. Designed for diverse Australian conditions, these hot water heat pumps are proving to be one of the most efficient on the market, providing energy cost savings all year round. Heat pump water heaters are highly efficient and use 30% of the energy of a conventional electric hot water system.^.
A hot water heat pump is suitable for most households, but not all. To determine if it’s right for you, speak to an ActewAGL-approved installer.
Upgrading to an energy-efficient electric water heater can save you money in three ways:
- $500* off the cost and installation of your new water heater.
- A total of $250* is credited on your quarterly electricity bill over three years, paid at the rate of $20.84 per quarter.
- Ongoing energy savings.
You’re eligible for the upgrade if:
- You live in the ACT.
- You have an electricity plan with ActewAGL.
- You have a gas or electric hot water heater.
Frequently asked questions
Are your installers experienced?
All appliance installers meet the licencing requirements for our Energy Efficiency Improvement Scheme and have completed the required training. The licence classes and/or training requirements are:
- Electrician: unrestricted electrician licence.
- Gasfitter: general gasfitter or advanced gasfitter licence.
- Refrigerant: refrigerant handling licence
How do I lodge my claim?
You do not need to lodge a claim as the discount is applied at the time of sale.
What documents do I need to receive a concession or rebate?
You will need to present your eligible concession card and evidence that you live at the installation address at the time of sale.
If you don’t hold an eligible concession card, but are experiencing financial hardship, you may be eligible for a concession rebate with a referral from a specified community organisation or if you’re accessing ActewAGL’s Staying Connected hardship program. Find out more at the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate website.
Who do I call if there is an issue with my new appliance?
Contact the approved retailer who installed the appliance.
Why can’t I select another brand or heater type?
The product needs to meet the requirements of the Energy Efficiency Improvement Scheme Act and be approved by ActewAGL.
Yes. Purchasing and installing a heating, cooling or hot water system is easy and more affordable with our interest-free, 12 or 24 month Appliance Payment Plans.
To apply for the Appliance Payment Plan, you’ll need to:
- Purchase your system from the ActewAGL Energy Shop at 100 Gladstone St, Fyshwick.
- Read the terms and conditions before completing the application.
- Pay a one-third deposit of the total amount owing at the time of application (except in case of an emergency hot water installation).
ActewAGL will assess your application and in most cases you’ll receive an answer within one working day. If approved, your application will be valid for three months.
Applications will only be accepted:
- For the supply and installation of new fixed equipment in ACT and NSW homes (partial upgrades or repairs are not accepted).
- For loans from $500 to a maximum of $14,000 for approved products.
- If loan repayments are made monthly or fortnightly over 12 or 24 months, by equal direct debit installments.
- For products approved by ActewAGL.
- Through the ActewAGL Energy Shop.
- For homes where ActewAGL is the energy supplier.
- Where evidence of property ownership is proven (if property owner isn’t in the ACT).
- For emergency hot water replacements (up to $3,200) if you provide evidence of property ownership, such as a land-rates notice.
We don’t accept applications for supply or installation only or for registered builders, unless it’s for their principal place of residence.
The final decision on Appliance Payment Plan approval rests solely at the discretion of ActewAGL. Approval of your application must be completed prior to the installation being carried out. Terms and conditions apply.
For more information about Appliance Payment Plans, please call or visit the ActewAGL Energy Shop:
100 Gladstone St, Fyshwick
02 6280 0994
If you are experiencing financial hardship or are an eligible concession card holder, you may be eligible for further savings on this upgrade.
Upgrade to an energy-efficient electric water heater and get up to $800* off the purchase price, plus $400* total credit on your quarterly ActewAGL electricity bill over three years ($33.34 per quarter).
Please get in touch with your ActewAGL-approved installer.
*View the terms and conditions for this upgrade.