The health, safety and wellbeing of our customers, workers and broader community is our highest priority. The Fridge Buyback program is temporarily closed to minimise the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Got an old fridge lying around?
We’ll pick up your old fridge or freezer, ensure it’s responsibly recycled* and give you $30** credit on your electricity bill. It’s so easy.
You’re eligible for Fridge Buyback if:
- You live in the ACT.
- You’re an existing ActewAGL customer.
- Your fridge or freezer is in working order.
- We’ll pick up both one and two door fridges or freezers. But only two door appliances are eligible for the credit.
To let us know where to pick up your fridge or freezer.
2. We’ll call you
Within two business days to confirm your pick-up date and time.
3. Your appliance is taken away
And responsibly recycled* by an ActewAGL representative.
4. You’ll see the $30 credit on an upcoming bill.
As long as your appliance has two doors, you’ll see the amount subtracted from your bill.
Frequently asked questions
You’re eligible for the rebate if:
- You’re an ActewAGL customer.
- Your fridge or freezer has two doors and is in working order.
Depending on your next scheduled meter reading date, you’ll see the rebate on your bill within the next two billing periods. It will be on the electricity account holder’s bill for the address the appliance was removed from.
The fridge/freezer removal will be free of charge if the removal involves less than 20 steps/stairs and can be completed in 15 minutes or less. If the removal doesn’t fit these requirements, you’ll receive a revised quote on the day.
The removalists have the right to refuse to remove a fridge/freezer if they believe it’s unsafe to do so.
Yes, we can collect up to three eligible fridges if you let us know when organising the pick up. Business customer enquiries will be handled on a case-by-case basis.#
If I have more than one fridge removed, do I get multiple rebates?
Yes, you will get multiple rebates for up to three fridges that are eligible under the program.
#An eligible business premises is one that does not have energy reporting obligations under the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007 (Cth), the Australian Government’s Energy Efficiency in Government Operations Policy or the Carbon Neutral ACT Government Framework.
No, if someone will be home, they must be over the age of 18.
Or you can let us know if no one will be home and follow the instructions below.
If you’ve told us you’re not going to be home:
- Leave the completed Fridge Buyback form inside the appliance.
- The appliance must be left on your property in an area without pets. ActewAGL’s contractors cannot collect appliances left in public areas.
- You must make the appliance doors safe. Either remove the doors or use industrial-grade tape or rope to secure the appliance doors shut.
- To minimise the risk of theft, the appliance should only be put outside on the night before or the morning of the collection and left in as inconspicuous a location as possible. ActewAGL does not assume any responsibility for theft of appliances left outside for collection.
What do I need to do before the fridge/freezer is collected?
Before the day of collection you will need to:
- Remove any food and drink, then unplug and defrost the appliance. Drawers and shelving can stay in the appliance.
- Empty any drip trays.
- Remove any obstacles for the removalists.
Who will be collecting my fridge?
Your fridge will be collected by KK Technical Services Pty Ltd. KK Technical is an experienced removalist company. The removalists are ActewAGL contractors and can be identified by their ActewAGL identity cards.
Fridge Buyback is a registered business name of Next Energy Pty Ltd.
What if they can’t get the fridge out?
If the removalists are unable to remove a fridge/freezer, the collection can’t be completed.
What do I do if I can’t make the scheduled collection date?
Please let us know in advance so we can organise a new collection date. If our removalists turn up and are unable to make the collection due to your absence or if you cancel your collection, we won’t be able to pay the $30 rebate on a subsequent rebooking.
What extra information do I need to give when booking a pick up?
When making a booking please have your electricity account number, any concession details, as well as the brand and model of the fridge/freezer if possible.
Are fridges/freezers recycled?
Yes, the fridges and freezers are sent for metal recycling, where the copper and steel are recovered.
What happens to the harmful gases?
The gases are shipped to Melbourne for safe destruction by Refrigerant Claim Australia. The gases (CFCs and HCFCs) are extracted from the fridges or freezers in cylinders where the gas is then destroyed in an environmentally-responsible manner in a plasma furnace.
Only properties in the ACT are eligible for the program.
Our ActewAGL Energy Efficiency team is happy to assist.
Call 1300 136 008 Monday–Friday, 8am–5pm.
*Eligible fridges are degassed in an environmentally-responsible way, using a recovery cylinder. Gases are transported to Melbourne for safe destruction by Refrigerant Reclaim Australia. Usable steel and copper are recycled as scrap metal.
^ Estimation sourced from actsmart.act.gov.au and treesforlife.org.au
**View the Fridge Buyback terms and conditions.