NSW medical energy rebate

If you are an electricity account holder with a current Pensioner Concession card, Health Care card or Veterans' Affairs gold card, and someone residing at your home has a medical condition which causes an inability to self-regulate body temperature, you may be eligible for a further rebate on your electricity charges.

The electricity rebate is calculated on a daily basis and will appear on your bill as a separate line item.


To be eligible for the rebate for each billing period:

  • the account holder must reside in NSW
  • either the account holder or anyone permanently residing at the residence of the account holder must have an inability to regulate body temperature as defined in the application form, and
  • the account holder must hold either a:
    • Pensioner Concession card, or
    • Department of Veteran Affairs gold card, or
    • Health Care card.


To apply for the rebate you must print and complete a NSW medical energy rebate form. Relevant parts of the form must be completed and signed by both the account holder and a medical practitioner who has been treating the patient for at least 3 months.

If you are having difficulty understanding the form, please refer to the guide to the NSW medical energy rebate document.

To complete this form you will need:

  • the account holders details and signature
  • details of your Pensioner card, Health Care card or Department of Veterans' Affairs gold card
  • a medical practitioner who has been treating the patient for at least three months to complete the relevant sections.

Return the completed form to:
Customer Services ActewAGL
Canberra ACT 2601
Fax: 02 62483244

If you require assistance, or if your circumstances change and you are no longer eligible for this rebate, please call us on 13 14 93.

Please note

This rebate is effective 1 January 2010. Applications must be submitted as soon as possible, prior to the issue of the first account on which the rebate is claimed. Retrospective adjustments may be made.

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

GST applies to the balance of your electricity account after the rebate has been deducted.

Contact information

If you have any difficulty completing your application, please call ActewAGL on 13 14 93.

For more information, including the current rebate rate, contact NSW Department of Trade and Investment.