Networks frequently asked questions

Your distributor and retailer

What is a distributor?

Distributors, such as ActewAGL Distribution, manage and operate the poles and wires that deliver electricity and the pipeline system that delivers natural gas to customer premises. Distributors own the energy meters and other related assets located at the customer premises and are responsible for:

  • conducting all maintenance, upgrade, and extension work on the distribution network up to the meter
  • performing new connections, connection alterations, and other connection services relating to customer premises
  • ensuring supply continuity
  • reading meters and providing electricity consumption information to retailers
  • responding to emergencies, enquiries and complaints relating to the network management and related services

Distributors are not responsible for providing bills to customers. Bills are provided by retailers.

What is a retailer?

Retailers purchase energy and sell it to customers. Although meters are read by distributors, retailers are responsible for using consumption information to calculate the bills which they then send to customers.

Retailers utilise the distribution network to ensure the energy is delivered to the premises and act as an interface between customers and distributors for a number of customer services including:

  • arranging new connections and connection alterations to customer premises
  • energising and de-energising customer premises
  • other value-added services such as installation and maintenance of gas-powered appliances and hot water systems

Who is my distributor?

Your distributor is the one that operates the network at your premises. A list of distributors in each state is available on the Australian Energy Regulator's website.

Is ActewAGL Distribution my distributor?

ActewAGL Distribution is the electricity distributor in the ACT and the gas distributor in the ACT, and in the Queanbeyan, Palerang Shire, and Nowra regions of NSW. If you are still unsure you can contact us on 6248 3555 (electricity) or 1300 137 078 (gas).

Can I change my distributor?

No. Distributors operate physical networks in specific areas. You can only get connected to the distributor that operates the network in your area. You can find out who your distributor is on the Australian Energy Regulator's website.

Your connection

How is my supply regulated?

Once your premises have been connected to our distribution network, you automatically enter into an contract with us.  This contract sets out the terms and conditions of your energy supply, and terminates along with the successful disconnection of your supply.  The detailed terms and conditions for the termination of the contract are set out explicitly in the contract.

Electricity: deemed standard connection contract
Gas: interim deemed standard connection contract

How are service interruptions managed?

For a list of current unplanned outages status, please view our outages page. For more information on how planned and unplanned interruptions are managed, please read our Electricity networks customer charter or Gas networks customer charter.

If you wish to report an outage, please call our 24-hour Faults & Emergencies Line on 13 19 09.

I want to enquire or complain about my bill

Your energy bill is calculated by your retailer. Please contact them for any assistance on this topic. Your retailer’s contact details can be found on your bill.

How can I submit a compliment or complaint?

If you have a compliment or a complaint relating to our network please refer to our compliments and complaints page for more information.

How do I set up a new connection?

Please refer to our connections overview page for information regarding different connection types.

How is my personal information protected?

ActewAGL adheres to all current applicable privacy regulation governing the way personal information is collected, recorded, stored, used and disclosed.  For more information on how we protect your personal information please read our privacy policy.

Other enquiries

If you would like further information General Enquiries Line on 6248 3555 (electricity) or 1300 137 078 (gas). Alternatively you can submit an online enquiry.

Life support equipment

If someone residing at your premises depends on the following electrically-operated life support equipment you are entitled to register for life support. This list is maintained as part of the National Electricity Retail Rules.  In the event of a discrepancy between the list published on this website and the list in the current National Electricity Retail Rules the latter will take precedent.

  • An oxygen concentrator.
  • An intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine.
  • A kidney dialysis machine.
  • A chronic positive airways pressure respirator.
  • Crigler najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment.
  • Ventilator for life support.
  • In relation to a particular customer—any other equipment that a registered medical practitioner certifies is required for a person residing at the customer’s premises for life support.

Register for Life Support

To register your premise as requiring life support equipment you will need to provide us with your National Metering Identifier (NMI) details found on your electricity account.

We may require you to provide a current letter of authority signed by your medical practitioner or an authorised officer of the Department of Health, specifying the type of life support equipment and the amount of time it is used.

You can contact us on:

Phone:  1300 768 810

Upon registration with us, you will be provided the Customers with life support equipment (PDF) brochure which contains important information including:

  • contact details during an emergency
  • our obligations to you once you are registered as having life support equipment at your home
  • your obligations for keeping us up to date with current contact details or any changes in circumstances regarding life support equipment at your home
  • options you should consider in advance of an extended power interruption


Registration with ActewAGL Distribution does not signify eligibility for a rebate on your electricity bill.  You MUST contact your retailer directly to apply for any rebate.  If your application for a rebate is approved by your retailer they will notify us of your life support equipment requirements, absolving you of any need to inform us of this information.

To be eligible for registration in the ACT as requiring life support equipment:

  • the life support equipment must be prescribed by an ACT medical practitioner for the treatment of a life-threatening condition
  • the property relating to the account has to be the sole or principal place of residence of the applicant
  • depending on the circumstances, the applicant may be required to provide ActewAGL Distribution with a current letter of authority signed by the applicant's ACT medical practitioner or an authorised officer of the ACT Department of Health, specifying the type of equipment.

Further Queries

If you have further queries concerning your life support registration or electricity supply in general please contact ActewAGL Distribution on 1300 768 810 or via email to

Centralised hot water in multi-unit buildings

For residential blocks of about fifteen or more stacked residential apartments, centralised hot water can be cheaper and take up less space than individual water heating.

A typical gas centralised hot water system supplying residential dwellings includes:

  • one or more central hot water heaters, with corresponding gas meters
  • insulated piping to each apartment, with individual hot water meters.

The total amount of gas consumed to provide hot water is split amongst the dwellings supplied.  Each dwelling’s gas consumption quota is calculated based on the amount of water flowing from the boiler to the dwelling measured by the hot water meter, and is reflected on your the gas bill.

Centralised hot water diagram

If your bill is too high

If your centralised hot water systems has problems, or the hot water meter is registering incorrectly, your gas bill may be very high.  If you think you are experiencing an issue related to centralised hot water, please contact your gas retailer for assistance.  Your retailer’s contact details can be found on your gas bill.

More questions?

We have created a brochure outlining gas centralised hot water systems in multi-unit buildings.