Try out this fun and different way to blow up a balloon using a few common items you might have in your kitchen pantry.
1 empty soft drink bottle (1.25 litre)
4 teaspoons of bicarb soda 250ml of vinegar
How to blow up your balloon
1. Pour the vinegar into the empty drink bottle.
2. Stretch the balloon around the neck of the funnel.
3. Using the funnel add four teaspoons of bicarb to the balloon.
4. Carefully remove the balloon from the funnel.
5. Take the balloon and place it over the neck of the bottle so the bicarb mixes with the vinegar.
6. Watch as the gas created from the vinegar and bicarb mixture blows up your balloon!
Why does this work?
When baking soda and vinegar are combined they produce a gas called carbon dioxide, which blows up the balloon when it runs out of room in the bottle.
This activity is suitable for children aged 7 years and up. Parental supervision is recommended.
For more fun energy and sustainability facts check out Kids corner.