Don’t forget to decorate safely this festive season

Tuesday 12 December 2017

As we approach a wonderful time of the year, with many dusting off decorations and Christmas lights to brighten their home, it’s important to take steps to stay safe as you celebrate this festive season.

The highest priority should be to check cords on any lights and decorations to make sure they have not frayed or been damaged during storage.

Clinton McAlister, Branch Manager Works Delivery says, “Frayed cords are a safety hazard and increase the risk of electric shock. Always check manufacturer’s instructions before setting up light displays or replacing lamps and globes.

“Checking cords on electric decorations before use is a necessity. Never plug lights into broken or cracked sockets and be sure not to overload power boards with double adapters ‘piggy backing’ off one another.

“Decorative lights can heat up substantially so keep them away from children and flammable materials like wrapping paper, which can easily catch fire. 

“If you are going to decorate the outside of your house, always make sure the lights you use are suitable for the outdoors and keep the cords out of reach of children and pets. Also keep all electrical connections and transformers out of areas that may become wet,” said Clinton.

From 1 January the part of ActewAGL that looks after the poles and wires is changing its name to Evoenergy.

For more information visit actewagl.com.au/safety

For further media information only:

ActewAGL
Mobile: 0414 515 359