Experiencing shocks or tingles at home?

Tuesday 07 November 2017

ActewAGL wants customers who experience electric shocks or tingling sensations when touching household appliances to report it on 13 10 93.

ActewAGL Branch Manager Works Delivery, Clinton McAlister said, “A tingle or shock can be a sign of a bigger problem that may need further investigation by ActewAGL, a licenced electrician or an ACT Government electrical inspector.

“Tingles and shocks in the home could be a sign there’s a fault in your home’s electricity supply and if left unchecked could put you or someone in your family at greater risk of injury.

“It’s important for people to be aware of the difference between an electric shock, compared to a tingle or static shock.

“Static shocks are usually small zaps caused by friction such as from clothing or carpet, while shocks or tingles from an appliance that can conduct electricity are more significantly felt and happen repeatedly.

“We want customers to call us if they experience an electric shock or tingling sensation when touching metal appliances like kettles or toasters, and fittings such as taps and sinks, as these can all conduct electricity.

“So no matter how minor you may think the shock or tingle is, please report it to us on 13 10 93.

“And if you’re doing any work around the home like adding power points or doing renovations, use a licensed electrician to do all the wiring work and ask them for a certificate of electrical safety for the work they do,” said Clinton.

For more information visit ActewAGL’s website actewagl.com.au/safety

 

For further media information only:

ActewAGL
Mobile: 0414 515 359